Peppermint Black Bean Brownies
1 cup dark chocolate chips
⅓ cup unsalted butter or neutrally flavoured oil
⅔ cup sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs**
1 ½ cups black beans, rinsed and drained
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350o F (180oC). Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Add the chocolate chips and butter to a medium saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Allow the melted chocolate and butter to cool for a few minutes. Then whisk in sugar, peppermint extract, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Add the chocolate mixture, black beans, baking powder and salt to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan before cutting.
**For a vegan egg replacement, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons hot water and let stand for a few minutes (replaces one egg).