2 cups flour of choice*
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs**
⅓ cup maple syrup
¼ cup coconut or avocado oil
2 tablespoons molasses
- Preheat oven to 375o F (190oC).
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together applesauce, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and molasses.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
*A combination of oat, almond and white flours were used for this recipe.
**For a vegan egg replacement, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons hot water and let stand for a few minutes (replaces one egg).