Curried Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
4 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
8 medium carrots, sliced
1 tbsp oil for sautéing
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated OR ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½-1 tablespoon curry powder, depending on preference for spice
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt or to taste
1 14-ounce can of coconut milk (light or full fat)
3 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400o F (200oC).
- Toss sweet potatoes and carrots with a bit of oil and roast in the oven until tender, turning over halfway through cooking, around 35-40 minutes total.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
- To the pot, add the roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, curry powder, salt and pepper. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree until smooth.
*To add a source of protein, soft tofu or chickpeas can be blended into the soup during the last step.