Common Brands of Low-FODMAP Foods
Below is a list of low-FODMAP products that can be found at some stores across Canada. It is important to keep in mind that the low-FODMAP diet is not meant to be followed strictly long term. This list provides options that are suitable during the elimination phase and beyond that only if needed. Some product ingredients may have changed since this list was created, so please double check the ingredients list before assuming they are low FODMAP. It can be helpful to go through label reading strategies with a Registered Dietitian. In this post, I have highlighted a few things to look for when purchasing each type of product. Note that not all of the products in this list are foods that I am promoting be frequently consumed. This list simply provides low-FODMAP options.
There are currently two companies that test and certify low FODMAP products in Canada. If you see either of these two icons on products, they are certified to be low FODMAP. Note that it is optional to go through the certification process, so not all low FODMAP products will have these symbols on them.
Breads, Bagels, Muffins
Look for ones with no: wheat, rye, spelt, barley, inulin, onion, garlic, high-fructose corn syrup/glucose-fructose.
- Terra Breads – all sourdough breads
- A Bread Affair – Cheeky Amazing Sourdough and Soulmate Whole Wheat Sourdough
- Island City Baking – Authentic Sourdough Bread from Costco
- San Francisco Sourdough by Swiss Bakery
- Organic Sourdough by Mediterranean Bakery Organic Breads
- Authentic sourdough breads from bakeries. These should be low FODMAP if yeast is not listed in the ingredients (should just be sourdough culture/starter), it’s not made from rye flour, and it doesn’t have high FODMAP ingredients added
- Udi’s – White Sandwich Bread, Blueberry Muffins, Bagels (except Everything Bagel)
- LowFOD™ Bread from COBS Bread Bakery
Look for ones with no: wheat, malted barley extract, malted barley flour, whey powder, onion powder, garlic powder.
- Corn Thins (original, multigrain, sesame)
- Lundberg Rice Cakes (brown rice, sesame, tamari, wild rice)
- Hot Kid Rice Crisps (naturel, unsalted, seaweed)
- Laiki Wholegrain Crackers (black rice with sea salt, red rice with sea salt, red rice with cracked black pepper)
- Blue Diamond Nut Thins (plain, almond, hint of sea salt almond, pecan)
- Mary’s Gone Crackers (original flavor)
- RW Garcia 3 Seed Sweet Potato Crackers
- Edward & Sons Exotic Rice Toast (purple rice)
- Edward & Sons Brown Rice Snaps (plain, sesame, black sesame, tamari seaweed, tamari sesame)
- Nairn’s Crackers (whole grain, cracked black pepper, super seeded, gluten free)
- Eve’s Crackers (black sesame)
- Bio Functionals Sprouted (black rice bites, red rice bites)
Look for ones with no: wheat, spelt, barley, inulin.
- Cheerios (plain, honey nut, multigrain)
- Chex (all flavours except Wheat Chex)
- Holy Crap (natural-skinny B, maple and gluten-free oats)
- Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, Crispix, Rice Krispies
- Nature’s Path (Honey’D Cornflakes, Leapin’ Lemurs Peanut Butter & Chocolate, Golden Turmeric, Gorilla Munch, Rice Puffs, Koala Crisp, Choco Chimps, Qi’a Coconut Chia Superflakes, Qi’a Honey Chia Superflakes, Qi’a Superfood-Chia, Buckwheat & Hemp Topper, Whole O’s, Crispy Rice, Amazon Flakes, Almond Nut Butter Crunch, Honey & Peanut Nut Butter Crunch, Panda Puffs, Jungle Munch)
- Puffins (peanut butter, berry burst)
- Quaker Corn Bran Squares
Look for ones with no: wheat, semolina, chickpea flour, lentil flour.
- Barilla (Gluten Free Rotini, Gluten Free Fettuccini, Gluten Free Penne)
- Catelli (Gluten Free Spaghetti, Gluten Free Macaroni, Gluten Free Lasagne)
- GoGo Quinoa (Quinoa Fusilli, Quinoa Macaroni, Quinoa Spaghetti)
- Lotus Foods (Millet & Brown Rice Ramen, Forbidden Rice Ramen)
- President’s Choice (Gluten Free Spaghetti, Brown Rice Spaghetti, Gluten Free Macaroni, Brown Rice Pasta Fusilli, Gluten Free Penne Rigate)
- Rizopia (White Rice Spaghetti, Brown Rice Fusilli, Brown Rice Elbows, Brown Rice Lasagna, Vegetable Rice Fusilli, Brown Rice Spirals, Wild Rice Penne
- Rooster (Kongmoon Rice Stick Vermicelli)
- San Zenon (Organic Brown Rice, Organic Corn)
- Thai Kitchen (Stir-Fry Rice Noodles)
Look for ones with no added inulin, chicory, honey and/or fructose. If it has milk in the ingredients and does not say lactose-free, it is not low FODMAP.
- Liberte Greek Lactose Free (plain, vanilla)
- President’s Choice Low Fat Lactose Free Yogurt (plain)
- IOGO Creamy Lactose Free (plain, strawberry, vanilla)
- Activia Lactose Free (blueberry, lemon-lime, orange-mandarin, pomegranate-berry, raspberry, strawberry, vanilla)
- Oikos 0% Lactose Free (vanilla, banana, coconut)
- Silk Coconut Yogurt (plain, vanilla)
- President’s Choice Coconut Milk Yogurt (plain, vanilla, blueberry)
- Kite Hill Almond Milk Yogurt (plain, vanilla, blueberry, raspberry, key lime)
- Riviera Coconut Milk Vegan (plain, vanilla, pineapple & coconut, lemon)
- Yoggu! Original Coconut Yogurt
- Natrel Lactose Free (skim, 1%, 2%, 3.25%, chocolate, cream)
- Fairlife Lactose Free (skim, 2%, 3.25%, chocolate)
- Dairyland Lactose Free (skim, 1%, 2%, 3.25%)
- Neilson Lactose Free (skim, 1%, 2%, 3.25%)
Soymilk is considered high FODMAP if it has soybeans in the ingredients list but is low FODMAP if it has soy protein in the ingredients list. At the time this list was created, there were no low FODMAP soymilks for purchase in Canada.
- Almond Milk Brands: Almond Breeze, Almond Dream, Califia Farms, Earth’s Own So Fresh, MALK, Natura, Pacific, Silk, So Delicious, So Nice, Whole Foods 365
- Coconut Milk Brands: Coconut Dream, Dream Blends, Pacific Foods, So Delicious
- Flax Milk Brands: Manitoba Milling Co.
- Hazelnut Milk Brands: Pacific Foods
- Hemp Milk
- Macademia Brands: Milkadamia
- Pea Protein Milk Brands: Ripple
- Rice Milk Brands: Isola Bio, Natura, Rice Dream
Sauces, Dressings, Oils, Spices and Condiments
Look for ones with no: onion, garlic, high-fructose corn syrup/glucose-fructose.
- Fody brand (salad dressings, salsa, tomato sauce, ketchup, stir-fry sauces)
- Garlic infused olive oil: PC President’s Choice Roasted Garlic Olive Oil, La Tourangelle, Borges, Sparta Groves, Wildly Delicious. Ensure pieces of garlic, if present, are not consumed.
- Tomato sauce: Italissima Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- Vipro Roasted Red Pepper Spread
- Naturally low FODMAP: herbs (fresh and dried), lemon and lime juice, miso, oils (without added garlic or onion), tamari, vinegars
- Sauces that are low FODMAP in small amounts: ketchup (1 sachet or 2 tsp), soy sauce (2 tbsp), Worcestershire sauce (2 tbsp)
- Garlic and onion replacement: asafoetida (hing) powder
Look for ones with no: wheat, barley, inulin, chicory, fructooligosaccharides (FOS), sugar syrups, agave, honey, high-fructose corn syrup/glucose-fructose, sorbitol, erythritol.
- GoMacro (Double Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chips, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Maple Sea Salt, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Coconut & Almond Butter & Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate & Almonds, Mocha Chocolate Chip, Sunflower Butter & Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana & Almond Butter, Granola & Coconut)
- KIND® (Healthy Grains, Breakfast Bars)
- FODY bars
- Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars (all except apple crisp) and Roasted Nut Crunch (Almond Crunch)
- BOBO’s Oat Bars
Look for ones with no: wheat, garlic, onion, maltodextrin, whey.
- Banana chips (10 at a time)
- Boom Chicka (Sea Salt Popcorn, Sweet & Salty Kettle Corn, Real Butter Popcorn)
- Chocolate (dark-5 squares or 30 g, milk-4 squares or 20 g, white-4 squares or 25 g)
- Glutino (Pretzel Twists, Pretzel Sticks)
- Lundberg Rice Chips (Sea salt)
- Plain potato chips-multiple brands. Ensure only ingredients are potato, oil, salt.
- Quaker Rice Cakes (Lightly Salted, Salt Free)
- Que Pasa Tortilla Chips (Blue Corn, Unsalted, Salted, Red Corn, Thin & Crispy Lime, Thin & Crispy Sea Salt)
- Seaweed Snacks (gimMe (Sea Salt, Olive Oil, Sesame), Kirkland, Sea Snax Original)
- Tostitos (Simply Blue Corn, Simply Yellow Corn)